Timeline

 

 




 

 

 

 

1840-1899
1840's - 1869 - Louis Robidoux owned the Jurupa Rancho property - including what came to be named Mt. Rubidoux.

^ back to top

 

 

 

 

 

 

1900-1929-
      • 1914 (March 23) Booker T. Washington accompanied Frank Miller up Mt. Rubidoux.
      • 1916 (June 6) Dedication of the St. Francis Fountain
1906 (January) - Frank Miller and Henry Huntington formed the Huntington Park Association to acquire and develop the Mt. Rubidoux property including installation of a road from bottom to top and back.
1907 (February) - the road on Mt. Rubidoux was completed as designed by Brigadier General Hiram Chittenden who built the Yellowstone Park roads for the U.S. Government
1907 (February) - the U.S. flag was raised on Washington's Birthdayto celebrate the opening of the road
1907 (April) - the first cross was erected, consecrated, and a plaque installed at its base in dedication to Fray Junipero Serra, founder of the California Missions
1907 (summer) - a bronze plaque was installed at the "crossroads" to honor Henry E. Huntington.
1909 (April) - first Easter Sunrise Service held at the top of Mt. Rubidoux, attended by 100 persons
1909 (October) - President Taft went to the top of Mt. Rubidoux and dedicated a second plaque to Fr. Serra
1916 - cross was lit for the first time on Easter eve
1919 (November 11) - the first Armistice Day Sunset Service was held and attended by 300 persons
1922 - Boy Scouts guided Sunrise Service guests for the first time
1923 (April 18) - "Loring Rock" and the Loring memorial tablet was dedicated "at a location on the mountain from which there is a fine view of the tree-filled city"
1925 (December 13) - the Peace Tower and Friendship Bridge were dedicated in honor of Frank A. Miller (for his vision for the Mountain and for his ideals of International Friendship and World Peace)
1926 - 20,000 persons attended the Easter Sunrise Service
1930-1959
  • 1930 – (February 8) Boy Scout Tablet dedicated in honor of Frank Miller.”
  • 1955 (June 28) Miller Family deeded Mt. Rubidoux to City of Riverside (with provisions.)”
1980-1989
  • 1976 (November 10) Mt. Rubidoux designated as Cultural Heritage Landmark #26
Present-
  • 2008 (Summer) – new “view point” (with panoramic photo and noted points of interest) installed at top of Mt. Rubidoux
  • 2009 (Spring) – road repaired, rain run-off barriers installed, road repaved”
  • 2012 – 9th Street Trail opened”
  • 2012 – Friends of Mt. Rubidoux publishes first calendar (for 2013, Welcome to the rich history of Frank A. Miller Mt. Rubidoux Memorial Park.)
  • 2013 – Mt. Rubidoux visitors will have additional parking near to the Glenwood Gate once  Ryan Bonaminio Park at Tequesquite Arroyo is open in the Spring of 2013.”
 
 

^ back to top

 

 

 

 

 

 

1930-1959
1934 - the Riverside Humane Society dedicated a plaque, installed on the Friendship Bridge, to Japanese Olympian Lt. Col. Shunzo Kido who saved his horse from death while competing in the 22 ½ mile equestrian endurance race in the 10th Olympiad

^ back to top

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

1960-1979
 

^ back to top

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

1980-1989

^ back to top

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

1990-2000
1999 (August) - Dedication of Eagle Scout project "Lighting of the Flag", Eagle Scout Project "Trail Markers", and replacement of the Fr. Junipero Serra bronze plaque funded by The Serra Club. Also dedicated was plaque at base of the flagpole recognizing donation of U.S. flags donated in perpetuity by American Medical Response
1999 - The Friends of Mt. Rubidoux installed a replica of the Henry E. Huntington plaque at the crossroads.

^ back to top

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Present-2002
2002 - All 23 historical plaques have been cleaned or replaced by Friends of Mt. Rubidoux
August 1, 2002- The Friends of Mt. Rubidoux launch their website, Mt-Rubidoux.org

^ back to top